Tuesday 22 April 2008

Happy Birthday to...ME!

A self indulgent title I realise but as today is my birthday I feel perfectly justified in being a little self indulgent. I tun 28 today which is one of those curious ages, I suppose it counts as entering the late 20’s but it really does not seem a very significant number to me. Thirty will be the next big one I think and who knows where I will be by then?

So what do I have planned for this year I hear you ask? Well I began celebrating last Saturday with dinner a few drinks at my favourite local eatery in North Sydney, I kind of forgot to invite anyone till last minute so we ended up as a group of three but it was still a lovely meal and by the end we had somehow grown to a group of six as three other diners ended up joining our table. I do enjoy meeting complete strangers like this and they turned out to be a nice bunch, we are supposed to be meeting two of them for drinks this Friday for ANZAC day but we will just wait and see if that comes off.

This morning I got a couple of cards from home and some great presents from my girlfriend, one being a voucher for a Sydney Harbour Bridge climb and the other being a pre-ordered copy of Mario Kart for the Wii that I can pick up this Thursday (so excited about this it is a little bit worrying) and we are off out for dinner tonight at Australia Square which has a revolving restaurant with some great views. Even though one of my favourite travel writers has mixed views on revolving restaurants I am still looking forward to it.

So in summary I am having a quiet and civilised birthday this year but in no is this a sign of things to come, I fully plan to have many more loud and uncivilised birthdays in the future but am glad to take it easy once in a while.

So back to the present, this weekend is ANZAC day, a very serious day for many Australian’s and one that I can see the significance of having spent some time in ANZAC Cove in Turkey and visited various war memorials to the brave ANZAC troops who have fought in various conflicts throughout history. While I will certainly enjoy the long weekend I will also make sure that I spare a thought for the real reason behind this holiday and encourage you all to do the same.

No comments:

Google