So it is nearly time to leave the harbour city behind for a while. The seven months I have spent here have been great and there is every possibility I will find myself back here time and time again as my life continues to meander along but for now it is time to move on again.
Tomorrow will be my last day at work followed by leaving drinks over at Opera Bar to enjoy the view one last time and say a fond farewell to the friends we have made during our stay. Saturday morning will begin with an early start to pack the last few bits, handover the keys to the flat and head up the coast after breakfast.
The first day will include a trip to Palm Beach, where Home and Away is filmed, a late lunch in Newcastle and then a night camping by the ocean in Bonny Hills. Other highlights of our East Coast run will include:
- Port Macquarie where we will visit the Sea Acres Rainforest centre, pop in to the wildlife park and visit Tracking Point Lighthouse
- Coffs Harbour, the home of the giant banana
- Lennox Head where we will visit Lake Ainsworth, do some 4x4 driving on the sand and maybe indulge in some water sports if the weather holds out
- Byron Bay where we can see the Julian Aquatic Reserve and check out the Cod Hole caves
- Nimbin, Australia’s most famous hippy commune and apparently a very good place to “relax” for a while ;-)
- Brisbane where we can check out what the town has to offer and recharge our batteries with a couple of nights in a hostel
- Noosa, the home of Australia Zoo
- Fraser Island where we will really be putting our 4x4 through its paces on the worlds largest sand island
- Hervey Bay where we hope to catch a glimpse of the whales
- Bundaberg, famous for it rum, need I say more?
- Rockhampton which I hear is real cattle country and I expect we will sign up to play rancher for a day
- The Whitsundays where we shall try our hand a bit of sailing
- Cairns will be out last East coast stop finishing off a whirlwind tour as we pull in on the first Sunday in August
After the coast is it time to head West to Mt Isa and Australia’s biggest rodeo before we work our way over to Broome on the West Coast.
I will do my best to post weekly updates from the road and if anyone reading this has any suggestions of extra places to visit along the way please let me know. Adventure is calling and I for one don’t want any missed calls this time round.