Monday 3 September 2007

How do you know what you will miss?

With less that two weeks to go till the off (eek!) I have been thinking about what I will miss while I am away and have come to the conclusion that this is a very easy question in some ways but harder than it appears when you really think about it. When you ask people what they will miss you get a fairly standard set of answers, tv, internet, shoes, hot running water and so on which is why this is seen an easy question as I am sure we will all miss these things.

The thing which makes this a trickier question is that sometimes you really don’t know what you are going to miss the most till you are actually missing it. Sometimes something has to be taken away from you before you realise how much you rely on it, it doesn’t have to be something you have relied on for years, it can be something that has only been in your life a few weeks but having it taken away can still cause you to realise that it is something you really don’t want to be without.

Other things can catch you by surprise as well, work for one, I don’t think there are many of us who would expect to miss work but having just come to the end of my first day since finishing work for the trip I couldn’t even make it through without popping into the office to see my work friends. This is not the first time I have left a job and I am sure it will not be the last but this time I have no idea when I will next be working again which somehow makes it very strange.

So here we are about to hit the road and I for one don’t plan to second guess what I am going to miss, I plan to just find out along the way…

No comments:

Google